Located in Ipoh's leafy eastern suburbs which had been developed in the late 1920s, the St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Ipoh was established in 1927 and was the Scottish Presbyterian church. Its construction was the result of funds raised and donated by Perak's Scotsmen under the enthusiastic direction of Rev JW Walker. The foundation stone was laid on 23 March 1929 by the British Resident of Perak, Mr AF Worthington MCS. Later that year, the long-awaited Scots church was consecrated on 29 October 1929 by the same Rev Walker. Its congregation was drawn from the Scotsmen scattered throughout northern Perak working as tin mining engineers and supervisors, rubber estate managers, civil servants and administrators, policemen, lawyers, teachers and tradesmen. The rustic design created by the use of rough-hewn granite stone is, no doubt, intended by the architect to have been evocative of a simple Scots kirk back in the 'Auld Country'. Currently the church is gazetted as a heritage building by the Perak State Government. By the Grace of God, the congregation of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Ipoh has gradually expanded over the last 5 decades. With the historical church building being gazetted as a heritage site, no alteration can be made to its structure. As a result of fervent prayers and several years’ of planning, the congregation has unanimously agreed to the need to add a separate multi-purpose building at the same address to accommodate the growing ministries of the Church.
The Multi-Purpose Building will comprise an auditorium, multipurpose hall, offices, library, meeting rooms, class rooms, show rooms, kitchen/pantry, and a garden. In 2011, a Building Committee comprising members of the Chinese Church Board and congregation was set up to move things along. A series of events have since been created to raise funds for the Multi-Purpose Building. These events included the 2011 Christmas luncheon, 2012 La Traviata Opera, 2013 48th Anniversary Dinner, and 2014 St. Andrew’s Run.
Ipoh St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Information:
Address: 47, Jalan Golf Club, 30350 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia Phone: +605 547 2420
Chinese Sunday Service: Every Sunday 9am
Children Sunday School: Every Sunday 9am
2016 PSPA Singers The Chimes of Love Date : 15 December 2016 (Thusday) & 16 December 2016 (Friday) Time : 8:00pm – 10.00pm Venue : St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Ipoh
Entry Pass Prices :
Entry pass holders are encouraged to donate in kind, as printed on the back of entry pass
Pre-book your entry passes now from PSPA Store
PSPA Store QR Code: